Thursday, May 29, 2008

Our Family Garden

For all my life my family has grown a garden. My GrandJohn loved to work in the garden as well as my Dad does today. We enjoy the garden through out the summer, as well as can and freeze the crops we harvest. We grow Potatoes, Tomatoes, Corn, Green Beans, Onions, Squash, Zucchini, Cabbage, Peas, Cumbers, Lettuce, and Peppers (hot and sweet). When I was growing up I did not have much to do with the garden, but this year I have been more interested in gardening and learning what I can from my family. You might think that all that needs to be done is just plant what you want and let it grow, but there is a lot that goes in to gardening. You have to get the soil ready by plowing the soil, then harrowing it, then we use a lay off plowed to lay off rows to plant the seed. We also rotate our crops each year so that they can grow better. My family plants by the signs of the moon. When you do that you get a better crop. Once we have planted the seeds and they are now plants the work begins. You then need to hoe and fertilize them and keep the weeds pulled. My dad will use his tiller to till some of the weeds and get the fertilizer in to the ground. Then once the crops start coming in we start the job of harvesting. We will either eat what we have harvested or start putting it up. I have some pictures of our garden and I will post some more pictures as the garden grows.

This is one of the garden.




This is my little part of the garden.



Potato plants.



My peas



A cabbage plant.

1 comment:

Carrie Cooper said...

It's all looking good! We miss our garden.. prayerfully in the next 2 years we'll have another!